The Oklahoma School Performance Review (OSPR) Program was authorized by the Oklahoma Legislature during the 2001 session and amended during the 2005 session. The purpose of the performance reviews is to develop findings, commendations, and recommendations for individual school districts regarding: (1) containing costs; (2) improving management strategies; and (3) promoting better education for Oklahoma children.
As a part of each review, educational and management consultants conduct onsite evaluations, review district operations, study district data, interview stakeholders, hold public meetings, and distribute surveys. These consultants then produce a report evaluating the following areas of a district's operations:
- Management, Personnel, and Communications
- Instructional Delivery
- Business Operations
- Facility Use and Management
- Support Services (technology, food services, and transportation)
After the district has reviewed the accuracy of its contents, the Office of Accountability edits, prints, and releases the final report during a presentation to the local school board. The report includes commendations, recommendations, and estimates of savings as well as district trend data, survey results, public forum comments, and enrollment projections. Cost savings attributed to the review are intended to go toward classroom expenses in order to improve student performance and readiness.
The cost of a review varies depending on the size of the district, but the Office of Accountability can fund 100 percent of the cost if a district meets one of the following criteria:
- administrative service costs are above the expenditure limits established for school districts;
- total expenditures are in excess of the district's adopted budget;
- the district Academic Performance Index (API) score is below the state average;
- a request for a review is submitted by the Governor or State Superintendent of Public Instruction; or
- the district percentage of students eligible for free or reduced-price meals is above the state average.
A district not meeting any of the above criteria will only pay 25 percent of the cost of a review, and the Office of Accountability will cover the remaining 75 percent.
Previous reviews can be viewed on this website. Hardcopies can be mailed upon request. Please contact the Office of Accountability for more information about this program and its benefits.